Best Wireless Router For NAS (Network Attached Storage) in 2022
Combining a fast internet connection with a sluggish, unstable home network is like being forced to drive a Ferrari on a pothole-filled, rough road. To put it bluntly, you are not going to be pleased with the outcome of this endeavor. Connecting the appropriate router to your network can help to smooth out any speed spikes. There are several options available, regardless of whether you live in a little home or need to cover every inch of your mansion.
If your devices are slowing down because they are overburdened with information, or if you are concerned about losing data due to a device crash or a fat finger, consider purchasing network-attached storage (NAS) device to store and back up your files.
The following brands have been recommended by our readers, whether you’re looking to upgrade your router or purchase network-attached storage (NAS) device.
You’re undoubtedly already familiar with how a router serves as the hub of a home network and distributes Wi-Fi to numerous devices at the same time. The term “router NAS” refers to an application that makes use of a USB-enabled Wi-Fi broadcaster to function as a small NAS (Network Attached Storage) server. All that is required is an external hard disc.
Consequently, if you want to experiment with network-attached storage, setting up a decent Wi-Fi router is the best place to begin. In this essay, I explained how to get the most out of the USB port on a Wi-Fi router and how to do it in detail.
A router is one of the most effective methods of obtaining a fast and stable network. Not only that, but routers also improve the overall security of the local network. A Network Attached Router (NAS) is an even more secure and convenient means of storing and transferring data than a traditional computer (NAS). There are a large number of high-quality routers available that include a built-in storage system.
You may also back up your files to the cloud using a NAS. You may get to this information at any time and from whatever device you wish to use it on. Because of this functionality, it becomes incredibly simple to exchange data across the devices that are connected to the same network. This sort of router is available from a variety of manufacturers.
Because there are hundreds of different routes to choose from, it can be a difficult task to narrow down your choices. In this piece of writing, we’ll go over the top seven routers for NAS storage. In addition, there is a shopping guide that will assist you in selecting the best router for NAS based on your needs and preferences. Now, let’s get down to business and talk about the subject.
Best Wireless Router For Nas In 2022
1. Asus RT-AX89X
ASUS AX6000 WiFi 6 Gaming Router (RT-AX89X) - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router, Dual 10G Ports, Gaming & Streaming, AiMesh Compatible, Included Lifetime Internet Security
- Next-Gen WiFi 6 Standard - 802.11ax WiFi standard for better efficiency and throughput.
- Ultrafast WiFi Speed - 12-stream 6000Mbps WiFi speed to handle even the busiest network with ease.
- Dual 10G ports - Enjoy up to 10X-faster data-transfer speeds for bandwidth-demanding tasks with 10GBase-T and 10G SFP+ networking technology port.
- Wider Usage and More Convenience - 8 antennas + 8 LAN ports to support more clients at the same time.
- Commercial-grade Security - AiProtection Pro, powered by Trend Micro, blocks internet security threats for all your connected smart devices.
As the company’s most advanced dual-band Wi-Fi 6 router, the Asus RT-AX89X makes history as the first router on the market to provide two 10Gbps network ports. Because of this, as well as two USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports, it is capable of providing ultra-high-speed router NAS capability.
In the same way that all Asus routers, such as the GT-AXE1100, RT-AX86U, GT-AX11000, and RT-AX68U listed below, can provide any storage-related apps you can imagine, including local and cloud-based data sharing, PC-less download software, Time Machine backup, and a slew of other features.
Aside from that, the storage-based feature set is the same across all Asus routers that have been introduced in the last several years. And it holds true for the other Asus routers on our list as well.
2. Linksys MX8500
Linksys Atlas Max AXE8400 WiFi 6E Mesh System, Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit Router, Speeds up to 8.4Gbps, Coverage up to 9,000 sq ft, up to 195 Devices, 3-Pack, Comes with WUSB6100M (MX8503W-AMZ)
- WiFi 6E offers the 6GHz band connection needed for optimized work-from-home, online learning, livestreaming, and up to 6.5x faster speed** for AR and VR devices.
- Velop Intelligent Mesh technology combined with WiFi 6E delivers gigabit WiFi speeds to every corner of your home or business.
- With 4x*** the channels of current WiFi systems, the 6 GHz band can handle all the traffic from the busiest smart homes using heavy-bandwidth devices all day, every day.
- An advanced Qualcomm chipset delivers the ultimate WiFi 6E experience. This next-generation technology transforms home and business WiFi with its wire-like stability and blazing-fast performance.
- With a 5 gigabit WAN port, you can experience up to 5 Gbps speed throughout your home for smart TVs, streaming devices, gaming consoles, and even the latest VR and AR.
The Linksys MX8500 is a particularly intriguing example. It is a component of the MXE8400 Wi-Fi 6E mesh network system.
The MX8500 does not feature a Multi-Gigabit LAN port when used as a standalone router. When used as a satellite in a mesh network, the device’s 5Gbps WAN is transformed into a local area network (LAN). Because of this, as well as the super-fast 6GHz band, you can expect great NAS speed from it.
Furthermore, much as with every other Velop mesh set, you may utilize one external drive per MX8500 uint, allowing you to host more storage in a mesh arrangement than ever before.
Linksys does not officially support Time Machine backup out of the box, but with a little modification, you might be able to make it work with a little effort.
3. NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 Wifi 6 Router (RAX200)
NETGEAR Nighthawk 12-Stream AX12 Wifi 6 Router (RAX200) - AX11000 Tri-Band Wireless Speed (Up to 10.8 Gbps) | 2,500 sq. ft. Coverage
- WIFI 6 – STREAM EVERYTHING AT EPIC SPEED: Simultaneously stream uninterrupted movies, games, video calls or download/transfer files at 10.8Gbps Wi-Fi speed. Works with existing and new Wi-Fi 6 devices like iPhone 11, Galaxy Note 10 and Galaxy S10.
- WORKS WITH ALL INTERNET PROVIDERS: Replace your existing Wi-Fi Router (separate modem or gateway required). Compatible with any Internet Service Provider up to 2Gbps including cable, satellite, fiber, DSL and more.
- EASY TO SET-UP AND MANAGE: Connects to your existing cable modem and sets up and customizes in minutes with the Nighthawk app – easily manage your Wi-Fi settings at the device and network level, test your Internet speed, view speed history and monitor data usage.
- USB CONNECTIONS: Share a storage drive with any connected device and create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere using the 2 x 3.0 USB ports.
- NETGEAR ARMOR POWERED BY BITDEFENDER: The world’s leading cybersecurity protects all your home devices from virus, malware, and data theft with a 30-day free trial.
This NETGEAR router has all of the characteristics that a decent NAS router should have, and it is the best of the best. All of its characteristics, whether in terms of speed or range, are extraordinary. The router’s design is also sleek and contemporary, which is an added bonus.
There are no complicated router procedures required, and it is compatible with the vast majority of Internet Service Providers. A number of other functions are included, such as two 3.0 USB ports, parental control, MU-MIMO, and so on. The use of this router will make the process of transferring data easier and more expedient overall.
The opinions of purchasers who have used this router are unanimous in their assessment that it is an excellent pick. They were pleased with the functioning of the router and would suggest it to other people who were considering purchasing it. Customer feedback has also shown that this router provides a safe means of transmitting data.
If you want a router that allows for fast and secure data transfer, this is the one you should consider purchasing. Additionally, because of its extensive selection, it is appropriate for large households.
4. ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000
ASUS ROG Rapture WiFi 6E Gaming Router (GT-AXE11000) - Tri-Band 10 Gigabit Wireless Router, World's First 6Ghz Band for Wider Channels & Higher Capacity, 1.8GHz Quad-Core CPU, 2.5G Port, AURA RGB
- Next-gen WiFi standard – World's first Wi-Fi 6E tri-band router boosts speeds up to 11000 Mbps.
- 6GHz spectrum available – Wider channels and higher capacity to deliver higher performance, lower latency, and less interference.
- 2.5G LAN/WAN Port – All traffic through 2.5G port is given the top priority, and 2.5G port unlocks the full potential of WiFi 6.
- Performance through engineering – Quad-core CPU processor, cooling system and optimized antenna design that brings its computational capability to the next level.
- Triple-level Game Acceleration – Accelerate game traffic every step of the way — from device to game server.
Are you seeking a router that will allow you to play games without experiencing latency? If you answered yes, then this router is for you. Fast and secure data transfer are among the advantages offered by this router, which also has an ethernet port and two USB connections. For a more reliable connection, there are eight external antennae installed.
The design of this router is contemporary and one-of-a-kind. Additionally, a number of ethernet and USB ports are provided for more reliable wired connectivity. Because of its long-lasting battery life, you may use it for several hours without having to worry about running out of juice.
The fastest characteristic of this router is the fact that it is really fast. This router is capable of transmitting data at a maximum rate of 11000 Mbps. The network will be safe from any cyber attacks as a result of using this router. You have the ability to administer and monitor the network with ease. Additionally, with parental control, you can filter the material and set a time limit for when a device may connect to the internet. The CPU utilized is a quad-core processor running at 1.8 GHz for optimal performance.
According to the purchasers, this router is quite dependable due to the use of high-quality materials. There is certainly much to be said regarding the router’s overall performance. They would encourage people to put their money into this product, particularly if they require it for gaming purposes. As previously said, this router is equipped with all of the functions necessary to make it appropriate for gaming. In addition, it will significantly minimize latency.
5. Netgear Nighthawk RAX120
NETGEAR Nighthawk 12-Stream AX12 Wifi 6 Router (RAX120) – AX6000 Wireless Speed (Up to 6 Gbps) | 3,500 sq. ft. Coverage
- UNLEASH FASTER SPEED, EVEN MORE POWER: Optimal for devices built to support Wi-Fi 6: Playstation 5, iPhone 11 and 12, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 13 and Mac Mini, Ultra Notebooks, Samsung S10 and S20
- WIFI 6 – STREAM EVERYTHING AT FASTER SPEED: Simultaneously stream uninterrupted movies, games, video calls or download/transfer files at 6 Gbps Wi-Fi speed
- WORKS WITH ALL INTERNET PROVIDERS: Replace your existing Wi-Fi Router (separate modem or gateway required). Compatible with any Internet Service Provider up to 2Gbps including cable, satellite, fiber, DSL and more
- EASY TO SET-UP AND MANAGE: Connects to your existing cable modem and sets up and customizes in minutes with the Nighthawk app – easily manage your Wi-Fi settings at the device and network level, test your Internet speed, view speed history and monitor data usage
- USB CONNECTIONS: Share a storage drive with any connected device and create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere using the 2 x 3.0 USB ports
With its 5Gbps port, this router is the most up-to-date offering from Netgear and provides the best network storage speed available, by far. However, even when using the NAS’s standard Gigabit connection, the performance of the device is still exceptional.
When hosting an external drive, the RAX120, like other Netgear routers, is all about sharing that storage space in as many ways as possible.
Using Netgear’s ReadyShare software, you may share that information locally or over the Internet. Additionally, the router offers local backup for Windows and Mac’s Time Machine software.
6. TP-Link AC5400 Tri Band WiFi Gaming Router(Archer C5400X)
TP-Link AC5400 Tri Band WiFi Gaming Router(Archer C5400X) – MU-MIMO Wireless Router, 1.8GHz Quad-Core 64-bit CPU, Game First Priority, Link Aggregation, 16GB Storage, Airtime Fairness
- JD Power Award- Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Wi-Fi Router Made for Gamers: Leading edge 1.8 GHz 64 bit Quad-core CPU and 1G RAM accelerates loading
- 8 Gigabit LAN ports and 1 Gigabit WAN port, with Link Aggregation, you can team two ports to double connection speed
- AC5400 Tri-band Wi-Fi over one 2.4 GHz (1000Mbps) and two 5 GHz bands (2167Mbps), dedicate one band to gaming traffic.
- MU-MIMO and AirTime Fairness maximize total throughput and response rates.
The AC5400 is one of the best routers currently available on the market. This tri-band router possesses the characteristics that everyone seeks in a router, whether it is speed or the ability of the router to maintain a steady connection across a large number of devices at the same time.
It is extremely secure, and it assures that the data transmission is free of viruses and data theft throughout the transfer. Using MI-MIMO technology, several users may connect to the same network and view the data. Additionally, it features eight antennae with a contemporary style.
The vast majority of individuals have nothing but nice things to say about this router. They were pleasantly surprised by the performance of this particular router. In the opinion of the purchasers, this device was incredibly simple to install and operate. Overall, it is a product that is well worth your money.
It is the most suitable model for residential use. If you have children at home, the parental control function will allow you to monitor and regulate the network with ease and efficiency.
7. Asus RT-AX86U
ASUS AX5700 WiFi 6 Gaming Router (RT-AX86U) - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router, NVIDIA GeForce NOW, 2.5G Port, Gaming & Streaming, AiMesh Compatible, Included Lifetime Internet Security
- New-generation WiFi 6 - Enjoy ultrafast speeds up to 5700 Mbps with the latest WiFi 6 (802.11ax) and 160MHz channels
- Mobile Game Mode - Minimize lag and latency for mobile gaming with just a tap on the ASUS Router app
- True 2 Gbps wired and wireless speeds - Aggregated 2 Gbps WAN connections, wired 2.5 Gbps port and WiFi 6
- ASUS AiMesh support – Create a flexible, seamless whole-home mesh network with AiMesh-compatible routers
- Commercial-grade home network security – Lifetime free ASUS AiProtection Pro, powered by Trend Micro, with WPA3 and advanced Parental Controls to protect your home
The Asus RT-AX86U is presently the best Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 router available on the market, according to a recent survey. Although this router has several noteworthy features, it’s outstanding NAS performance when hosting a portable drive contributes to its elevated ranking.
This high-performance router and gamer’s toolkit from Asus starts with outstanding performance and then adds configuration customization options, port aggregation, and top-of-the-line protection against cybercriminals to round out the package. It’s a great deal for gamers, and it may turn out to be their best online buddy.
In terms of functions, it is similar to other Asus routers in that it provides everything you could possibly want in terms of what you can do with the USB ports.
8. Netgear RAXE500
NETGEAR Nighthawk 12-Stream WiFi 6E Router (RAXE500) | AXE11000 Tri-Band Wireless Speed (Up to 10.8Gbps) |New 6GHz Band | Coverage up to 2,500 sq. ft. and 60 Devices
- 6GHz WiFi band dedicated to WiFi 6E devices including Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G. Enjoy 4K/8K video streaming, AR/VR gaming and HD videoconferencing
- Exceptional 10.8Gbps WiFi speed, 9x faster than WiFi 5. Backward compatible for all WiFi devices on 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands
- Coverage up to 3,500 sq. ft. and 60 devices
- Replace your existing WiFi Router (separate modem or modem router required). Compatible with any Internet Service Provider up to 2Gbps including cable, satellite, fiber, DSL and more
- Sets up in minutes with the Nighthawk app – easily manage WiFi settings at the device and network level, test internet speed and monitor data usage
Networking innovator Netgear introduces the Nighthawk RAXE500, the first Wi-Fi 6e router to operate across multiple frequency bands, integrating the sleek design of Netgear’s existing routers with the most up-to-date Wi-Fi standard available.
The tri-band gadget, which has an AXE11000 rating, more than lives up to the promise by providing approximately 2.5Gbps of real-world data. Because of its outstanding performance, the Tom’s Guide Award for best Wi-Fi router in 2021 was bestowed on it. On the other side, the RAXE500’s bandwidth decreases dramatically as you go further away from the router. Despite this, it was able to achieve an amazing range of 105 feet.
9. Asus RT-AX68U
ASUS WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX68U) - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router, 3x3 Support, Gaming & Streaming, AiMesh Compatible, Included Lifetime Internet Security, Parental Control, MU-MIMO, OFDMA
- High Efficiency WiFi 6 - Enjoy fast speeds up to 2700 Mbps with WiFi 6 (802.11ax)
- Commercial-grade Network Security – Lifetime free ASUS AiProtection Pro, powered by Trend Micro, with WPA3 to protect your home
- 3More Privacy, Anywhere - Instant Guard gives you one-click secure internet access via RT-AX68U from anywhere in the world
- Parental Controls for All Ages - Customize settings for different age groups, giving your kids the internet access they need
- ASUS AiMesh Support – Create a flexible, seamless whole-home mesh network with AiMesh-compatible routers
The Asus RT-AX68U is the final entry-level Wi-Fi 6 router available, and it has many of the same NAS features as its older relatives, which we discussed earlier. It is, on the other hand, significantly more inexpensive.
This router is not the fastest in any manner because it does not have a multi-gigabit port, but its router NAS function practically reached the maximum speed of a Gigabit connection in my testing.
The RT-AX68U deserves to be included on this list since it offers a great combination of outstanding features, quick performance, and a reasonable price.
10. Linksys MX5 Velop AX
Linksys AX5300 Smart Mesh Wi-Fi 6 Router Whole Home WiFi System, Tri-Band AX Wireless Gigabit Mesh Router, Fast Speeds up to 5.3 Gbps, coverage up to 6,000 sq ft, up to 100 devices, 2-Pack (MX10600)
- Mesh Wi-Fi router provides next-gen Wi-Fi 6 speeds and whole-home mesh coverage
- Bandwidth for 50plus wireless devices and coverage for homes up to 6000 square feet
- Provides ultra-fast, reliable Wi-Fi coverage for 4K streaming, gaming, and more
- Wi-Fi 6 connectivity speeds up to 5.3 Gbps
- Connects to your existing modem (replaces current router)
The Linksys MX5 is the most recent Wi-Fi router in the Linksys Velop mesh family, and it is available now. It’s a component of the Linksys MX10 mesh network system, although it’s also available as a standalone router.
The MX5 does not feature a multi-gigabit port, which means that its NAS performs at a maximum of 1Gbps, in contrast to some of the other Wi-Fi 6 routers listed below. It produced a speed that was virtually as fast as that in my testing.
The USB connection on the router is limited to local storage sharing only; there are no personal cloud streaming options available through the port. Similar to the MX8500, the MX5 may host an external drive while acting as a route or as a mesh satellite, however, its support for Time Machine backup may require some additional tweaking to be fully functional.
11. TP-Link Archer AX11000
- TP-Link Archer AX11000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router
The TP-Link Archer AX11000 is the Wi-Fi 6 version of the C5400X, which is discussed above. It’s a newer and significantly better router in general. However, it lags behind its elder relative when it comes to NAS performance. The storage capabilities of the two devices, on the other hand, are identical.
Although a Wi-Fi router has a number of advanced networking functions, the rather poor read NAS speed it achieves when hosting a storage device places it at the bottom of the list in this article.