Best DD-WRT Router Under $100 in 2022
When used properly, DD-WRT is a powerful form of software that may significantly increase the capabilities of your router. Take for example the option to customize your Web browsing experience, set up parental controls, build a VPN network, and improve the gaming performance of your router. This is possible. All of this is accomplished through the use of DD-WRT, but you must first determine which router to purchase.
However, given that many of these routers are several hundred dollars or more, they are not the most inexpensive alternatives in most cases. If you know where to search, you may get certain DD-WRT routers that are extremely inexpensive. As you can see, we’re here to assist you – so let’s speak about the best DD-WRT routers available for less than $100!
Before we get into our list of suggestions, it’s important to remember that just because you’ll be spending less does not imply that you’ll be getting a (very) limited DD-WRT router as a result of your savings. On the contrary, we’ve made it a point to accommodate a variety of user types.
You’ll discover both single-band and dual-band routers, both of which are powered by powerful CPUs and offer lots of bandwidth. The vast majority of them also come with extensive Wi-Fi coverage, which is capable of reaching your entire apartment or house. And, of course, all of the options in the following list include compatibility for the DD-WRT firmware.
And with that, we are ready to offer to you the 5 best DD-WRT routers under $100 in 2021 that you can get right now!
Best DD-WRT Routers Under $100 In 2022
1. NETGEAR R6700 Nighthawk
NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router, R6700 - AC1750 Wireless Speed Up to 1750 Mbps | Up to 1500 Sq Ft Coverage & 25 Devices | 4 x 1G Ethernet and 1 x 3.0 USB Ports | Armor Security
- Recommended for up to 25 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- Wired Ethernet ports: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 gigabit Ethernet ports
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a 1GHz dual core processor, 3 amplified antennas, Beamforming plus, Dynamic QoS, Smart Connect, and more
- USB connections: Share a storage drive or printer with any connected device or create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere, using the 1 x 3.0 USB port
- Safe & secure: Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols. Includes Guest Wi-Fi access, DOS, Firewall, VPN, and more.
The Nighthawk range from Netgear is a high-end enthusiast brand of devices that often costs a lot of money, but the R6700 is finally inexpensive enough to be purchased without going over your spending limits. This DD-WRT Router Under $100 has 256MB of RAM and 128MB of flash memory, which is more than enough capacity for us to run an OpenVPN client on it without any problems.
This is an 802.11ac dual-band device with a combined throughput of 1750Mbps, which is regarded as the highest available. It is divided into two bands with a combined bandwidth of 450+1300 Mbps. That way, your old and new gadgets will not have to fight for airspace with one another. The Ethernet ports are capable of transmitting data at one gigabit per second, allowing you to connect high-bandwidth devices while freeing up more space for your iPads and laptops.
This router is widely considered to be one of the best DD-WRT routers available — and for good reason. It has almost 20,000 customer ratings on Amazon and yet retains a four-star rating, which is impressive. To be quite honest, this may be the finest $100 you’ve ever spent on a router. However, it must be stated that there have been some concerns regarding the construction quality, with a few units failing to function after a few months of operation. If you’ve flashed your router using DD-WRT, you’ll be out of luck because the warranty will be voided. It’s not a particularly common problem, but at this price, it’s worth taking the chance nonetheless.
2. TP-Link Archer A7
TP-Link AC1750 Smart WiFi Router (Archer A7) -Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router for Home, Works with Alexa, VPN Server, Parental Control, QoS
- JD Power Award ---Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Router for wireless internet, works with Alexa, compatible with all Wi-Fi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Dual band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high speed internet(450mbps for 2.4GHz, 1300Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering and ideal for 4K streaming
- Gigabit Router with 4 Gigabit LAN ports, fast access to multiple connected wired devices, Ideal as a gaming router
TP-Link is well-known for its selection of routers that are designed for the home. Even if there are superior alternatives available when it comes to online gaming or ultra-high-definition streaming, TP-Link is well-known for its well-balanced routers that are appropriate for families to use. The Archer A7 has a straightforward design and can provide coverage of up to 2,500 square feet owing to three high-gain antennas. It has the ability to connect up to 50 devices at the same time, is powered by a fast CPU, and has bandwidth priority (QoS).
You’ll find that the Archer A7 includes a useful collection of built-in functions, in addition to its other characteristics. It is possible to set up and manage this gadget using the company’s Tether app, as well as to check-in remotely through the cloud. It’s also compatible with Alexa and IFTTT, which is useful if you’re an Amazon customer who owns one of the company’s intelligent speakers. Finally, please keep in mind that the Archer A7 is compatible with 802.11ac devices (and lower) and that it operates on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies (2.4 GHz is the default).
3. NETGEAR WiFi Router (R6120)
NETGEAR WiFi Router (R6120) - AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Speed (up to 1200 Mbps) | Up to 1200 sq ft Coverage & 20 Devices | 4 x 10/100 Fast Ethernet and 1 x 2.0 USB ports
- FAST WiFi PERFORMANCE: Get up to 1200 sq ft wireless coverage with AC1200 speed (Dual band up to 300 + 900 Mbps).
- RECOMMENDED FOR UP TO 20 DEVICES: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices.
- WIRED ETHERNET PORTS: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 10/100 Fast Ethernet ports.
- USB CONNECTIONS: Share a storage drive or printer with any network connected device using the 1 x 2.0 USB port.
- SMART PARENTAL CONTROLS: The Nighthawk app lets you manage device internet access and filter websites.
The Netgear AC1200 is a low-cost DD-WRT Router Under $100 that has been on the market for quite some time. Although it lacks certain contemporary capabilities such as beamforming and MU-MIMO, it still performs well enough to be considered a worthwhile purchase. Although the wifi speed of 1200 Mbps is not the fastest available, it is sufficient for streaming and gaming. It also has a range of up to 1000 square feet and has the capability of connecting up to 15 devices at the same time. This router also includes four Ethernet ports, each of which is restricted to 100Mbps, as well as a USB port for connecting a storage device.
By utilizing the Nighthawk app, the AC1200 is simple to set up, and it also has some of the most effective parental controls available for use on individual devices. This router would significantly benefit from an upgrade to the DD-WRT firmware, which would allow it to do several more functions.
4. ASUS RT-AC66U B1 AC1750 Dual-Band WiFi Router
ASUS AC1750 WiFi Router (RT-AC66U B1) - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router, ASUSWRT, Gaming & Streaming, AiMesh Compatible, Included Lifetime Internet Security, Adaptive QoS, Parental Control
- 1GHz CPU powers dual-band 3x3 802.11ac Wi-Fi technology for speeds up to 1750Mbps and wide, responsive coverage for large homes. Coverage area - 3,000 square feet
- Monitor and manage your network with ease from your mobile device using the intuitive ASUS Router App; Firewall：SPI intrusion detection,DoS protection
- Effortless router setup with ASUSWRT web-based interface. OS Support - Linux,Windows 8,Windows 10,Windows 7 ,Mac OS X or higher,Windows 8.1,Windows XP
- Integrated USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports enable printer sharing throughout your network and remote file access with AiCloud 2.0 support
- AiProtection Powered by Trend Micro provides multi-stage protection from vulnerability detection to protecting sensitive data
With a price of a little under $100, the Asus AC1750 barely makes the cut, but it still deserves to be included on this list. It is capable of delivering up to 450Mbps on the 2.4GHz band, 1300Mbps on 5GHz, and a combined speed of up to 1750 Mbps on the 5GHz band. It also has a large range of 3000 square feet, which may be expanded even farther with the use of Aimesh technology. The AC1750 is compatible with AiRadar beamforming and is supported by the Trend Micro network security suite of products.
Moreover, the router’s dual-core CPU ensures that network traffic flows smoothly, and it also has USB 3.0 capabilities as well as parental controls from AiProtection Pro. Gamers will like the fact that it is compatible with Nvidia Gamestream. It won’t harm to change the firmware on the Asus AC1750, even though it already has outstanding functioning.
5. D-Link DIR-859
D-Link AC1750 Gigabit Wi-Fi Router – High Power Amplifiers – Dual Band Speeds (DIR-859) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
- RELIABLE COVERAGE: High gain antenna and high power amplifiers create reliable coverage, ideal for small to mid sized homes
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE: This router has strong, reliable AC1750 WiFi performance, perfect for HD media streaming and gaming
- ADVANCED FEATURES: Includes parental controls and Mac/IP filters as well as dual band, guest network, and dual active firewall features
- EASY SETUP: Set this router up within minutes with the user friendly installation wizard or the Quick Router Setup (QRS) mobile appSupports the SharePort mobile app and SharePort plus
- AFFORDABLE: This full featured router is offered at a competitive price
The D-Link DIR-859 has been on the market for a number of years and has managed to garner a great deal of interest. Our pleasure in including it on our list of cheap DD-WRT routers is heightened by the fact that its price has just been reduced, enhancing its overall value even further.
When it comes to design, this DD-WRT Router Under $100 is a rather standard-looking piece of equipment. It comes with three non-detachable antennas and is capable of transmitting a very powerful signal. There are four Gigabit ports and one wide area network (WAN) port. One of the most notable aspects of the DIR-859’s performance, as several reviewers have noted, is its reliability. On both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, you can anticipate consistent download rates. The sole drawback is that there are no USB ports on the device. In other words, establishing an entertainment hub isn’t completely impossible, but having a USB port would be quite beneficial.
6. Linksys EA6700
- Up to 4.3 times* faster than Wireless-N technology: Simultaneous dual-band speed up to N450 Mbps (2.4 GHz) + AC1300 Mbps (5 GHz) for media-intense applications
- Improved signal reception: Advanced Beamforming technology improves Wi-Fi reception by focusing the Wi-Fi signal to a select device within home environments that suffer from signal interference
- Faster transfer rates: USB 3.0 delivers 10 times faster transfer rates than USB 2.0 for photos, video and data files
- Linksys Smart Wi-Fi: Monitor and control a home network from anywhere and at anytime. Smart Wi-Fi allows users to prioritize devices or websites, gain parental control over inappropriate content, monitor network activity, turn Wi-Fi access on or off and create select password-protected guest networks
- Smart Wi-Fi apps: A growing suite of apps offer improved opportunities to control one’s home network
This is a router that was formerly available for purchase for around a hundred dollars or more. It has 256MB of RAM and a massive 128MB of flash memory, which is very impressive. Similar to the TP-Link Archer A7, this router is an AC1750 dual-band device, which means that you are unlikely to experience any connectivity difficulties.
It also includes a USB connector that is far quicker than the previous generation, which employs the 3.0 standard. The majority of other routers in this price range have USB 2.0 ports, which this router also has one of, making it unique among its competitors. So there are a total of two USB ports. The port can be used to attach storage devices or to share resources, such as a printer, with other computers. The E6700 is an absolute deal at the asking price, and it fully deserves to be included on this list of the best DD-WRT routers under $100 on the market.
7. Linksys WRT1900ACS AC1900 Dual-Band Wireless Router
- Wireless AC, up to 4.3x faster than N technology: Simultaneous dual band speed up to 600 Mbps (2.4 GHz) + 1300 Mbps (5 GHz) for media intensive applications
- 4 high performance antennas: Engineered to enhance dual band communication, four external, adjustable antennas ensure supreme Wi Fi signal strength in multilevel homes and small offices
- Dual Core 1.6 GHz CPU: Powerful CPU promotes simultaneous high speed data processing allowing multiple users to simultaneously game online, stream movies, and transfer files without lagging
- Share content via an external storage device with ultra fast data transfer speeds. USB 3.0 delivers enhanced performance over USB 2.0; eSATA delivers optimal data transfer speeds from external SATA drives and accommodates USB 2.0
- Users can prioritize devices or websites, gain parental control over content, monitor network activity, turn Wi Fi access on or off and create select password protected guest networks. Network Map offers a visual map of the home network
It’s been a while since the Linksys WRT1200AC, another dual-core and dual-band DD-WRT Router Under $100, first appeared on the market. However, despite the fact that it operates on both bands, the performance is relatively subpar, with a high speed of 400MBps on the 2.4GHz band and an overall top speed of 867Mbps on the 5GHz band. For network storage, there are two USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0 eSata combination connections, all of which are capable of gigabit speeds. There are also four ethernet ports, all of which are capable of gigabit speeds.
This router is simple to set up and includes the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi app, which is designed to be user-friendly. A beamforming feature is also included, allowing for a stronger signal and improved connectivity overall. Installing DD-WRT should be straightforward due to the fact that the WRT1200AC is specially intended to work with open-source firmware.
More on DD-WRT Router
You can purchase a lot more than a ‘good’ DD-WRT router for less than $100 these days. DD-WRT routers have grown more inexpensive in recent years, bringing high-end functionality to a lower price range while maintaining their high-end features. The finest example of this is NETGEAR’s R6700, which should be able to fulfill the demands of even the most technically savvy customers.
It’s true that routers under $100 have certain restrictions, but they’re also affordable. However, the situation now is vastly different from what it was just a few years ago, as seen below.
These days, you can readily buy ultra-powerful DD-WRT routers for around $100, and you’ll even be able to save money as a result of doing so.
The most significant restriction of routers costing under $100 is the maximum bandwidth that they can provide. Right now, we’re talking about routers that can deliver speeds of up to 1.75Gbps – which should be more than sufficient to meet your demands in the foreseeable future.
Routers with additional USB 3.0 ports, high-performance connections for external devices, stronger-performing antennas, and other features are available at a higher price. In many situations, we’re talking about minor differences that only the most experienced users will be able to detect.
In order to enjoy your online gaming sessions without being throttled, you’ll need a router that performs well in terms of speed. You require a high level of bandwidth, minimal latency, and extensive Wi-Fi coverage.
We strongly suggest the NETGEAR R6700 Nighthawk for this application since it satisfies all of the requirements listed above. If you want extra choices, we propose that you look into the DIR-859 from D-Link.
Routing devices intended for residential use are meant to provide a high level of Wi-Fi coverage as well as a high level of bandwidth, and some of them may even contain a few sophisticated features to make life easier for their users. For example, TP-Archer Link’s A7 router is simple to set up, offers ultra-fast Web connections, and even incorporates USB connectivity into the design.